How much money do I make from blogging?
March 2017 Blog Income: £1422.86
EEEEEEEK! I made way over £1000 with my blog in March and my target was only a modest £500 so I am super chuffed! Can I officially call myself a full time blogger now? I am spending around 50 hours per week on my blog so I guess that qualifies! I have this fear that if I get too excited then it will all stop and the work will run dry. I guess that’s a big fear for every self-employed person/freelancer.
I did take the plunge and reduce my evening cleaning shifts from five nights to only three. I could finish altogether, but because of the fear above I’m not ready to take that risk just yet. It’s also great exercise! I started three shifts only at the beginning of March and I’ve put on half a stone since! I guess it’s six hours less exercise a week. So I think I may keep up with it as long as possible just for the exercise!
Amazingly I’m also still owed £295 for blog posts I’ve completed so this is a nice start to my April blog income. I only include the amounts I was actually paid within the month in my totals.
I’ve just checked my Google Adsense and I’ve finally reached the £60 threshold for a payment, so this may come in April too. It’s taken me ONE YEAR to reach the £60 so I’m making a whopping £5 a month from Google ads! I just have one in my footer now so I’m not making the most of them, but I also don’t want to plaster them all over my website. Especially for so little return! I guess the people killing it with Google ads have ridiculously high traffic.
Most of my income this month was through sponsored blog posts and reviews. £25 was from an advert on my ads page and £60.34 was an affiliate payment.
March 2017 Google Analytics
My stats have increased very slightly again:
Page Views: 15520 (Feb: 14500)(Jan: 12300)
Sessions: 9025 (Feb: 8167 )(Jan: 6600)
New Users: 4704 (Feb: 4600) (Jan: 4400)
I haven’t been noting these down, so I’ll start now! I’m really concentrating on my Instagram this year to increase followers. I’d love to hit 7500 by the end of the year. I never work on my Pinterest, hence the smallest number. I literally just post my images there once I post a new blog post and leave it be. One day I will learn how to optimise all my descriptions and give my boards a good clean up! Twitter is still my favourite channel and I use Social Oomph to schedule tweets so I’m visible there all day. I also check my notifications a few times a day to reply to comments. Every now and then I’ll have a little retweeting spree too.
Instagram: 4402 (Feb: 3150)
Did I Achieve My March Blogging Goals?
- Increase Instagram followers by 250 – ooh yes thrashed this one!
- Instagram at least once every other day – nope – I’ve still been bad at trying to post a pic all the time. My life just isn’t that exciting!
- Make £500 from blogging – yes I whooped this one!
- Change all ads to affiliate ads – Almost! I’ve around 30 blog posts to change and I also decided to leave just one Google ad in my footer
- Have a blog spring clean and clear out old irrelevant posts – yes I did this and I think I’m happy with all the content left. I may just go through some of the older posts and tidy them up/bulk them out/improve the writing
- Add internal links, check image descriptions and add keywords to at least 20 posts – yes I definitely did 20 of these, maybe more like 40-50
- Research SEO for blogs – I watched a video and read a little. It’s still a minefield to me, but I’ll be implementing some things this month.
- Send out new blog posts daily via newsletter to test if it increases click through rate – yes I’ve started sending daily newsletters and I need to check the click through rate as I’ve not really looked yet.
- Run two blog giveaways – yes I ran more than this – check out my Giveaway link in my menu bar ^^^
- Revise Social Oomph blog updates – I’ve revised a few, but I really need to go through the whole lot and change the hashtags and titles
April Blogging Goals:
- Increase Instagram followers by 500
- Make £500 from blogging
- Create a catchy blog heading and add intro paragraph to every blog post before the first image (at least 50 blog posts)
- Continue adding internal links 2-3 per blog post (at least 50 blog posts)
- Run two giveaways
- Revise Social Oomph blog updates
Want to know how I find paid opportunities? Click: 4 ways to find paid blog opportunities