Discover the pros and cons of wall hung toilets, including space-saving design, easy maintenance, customisation options, and potential installation challenges. Make an informed decision for your bathroom.
The bathroom toilet is undoubtedly the most frequently used utility in any household. So, it's essential to invest in a high-quality one that not only serves its purpose but also adds value to your bathroom. In the past, homeowners paid little attention to bathroom aesthetics, often neglecting the significance of the toilet itself. However, times have changed, and today's bathrooms demand a perfect blend of functionality and visual appeal. With a wide range of toilet options available in the market, including close-coupled toilets, back-to-wall toilets, and wall hung toilets offered by reputable retailers like Royal Bathrooms, finding the ideal fit for your needs has become easier than ever before.
While all these toilet types have undergone a modern makeover, it is the wall hung toilet that truly stands out in terms of sleekness and luxury. While other options can work well for a modern bathroom, the wall hung toilet provides an unparalleled sense of sophistication that is hard to replicate. Its minimalistic design and the illusion of floating effortlessly on the wall contribute to its contemporary charm.
If you're considering a wall mounted toilet for your bathroom, it's wise to gather more information before making a decision as they do come with their pros and cons. In this article, we aim to address the most frequently asked questions about the wall hung toilet. Whether you're curious about their functionality, installation process, or even their maintenance requirements, we've got you covered.
So, let's delve deeper into the world of wall hung toilets and discover why they are becoming increasingly popular among homeowners seeking a combination of elegance and efficiency in their bathrooms.
Wall Hung Toilets, Wall Mounted Toilets and Floating Toilets – Same Thing Different Names
So what exactly do we mean by a "wall hung toilet"? No, we don't mean a urinal, we mean an actual toilet!
Let's delve deeper into the world of wall hung toilets, also commonly referred to as floating toilets or wall mounted toilets. While they may have different names, they all refer to the same innovative concept: a toilet that hangs on the wall or appears to be effortlessly floating in midair. These toilets possess distinct features that set them apart from traditional options.
Firstly, the toilet bowl is positioned a few inches above the floor, securely attached to a concealed frame within the wall. This unique installation method not only lends a sleek and modern look to the bathroom but also makes cleaning the floor beneath the toilet hassle-free. No more awkward corners to reach or grime buildup!
The frame also provides a designated space for the cistern, the tank responsible for flushing. This ingenious design ensures that the cistern remains completely out of sight, further contributing to the toilet's minimalist and uncluttered appearance.
One of the advantages of a wall hung toilet is its versatility. As these toilets are composed of multiple components, you have the flexibility to purchase each part separately. This allows you to mix and match different elements, tailoring the toilet to your specific preferences and creating a truly personalised bathroom experience.
By combining functionality, aesthetics, and adaptability, wall hung toilets offer a unique solution for those seeking a modern and sophisticated toilet option. In the following sections, we will explore the benefits and drawbacks of choosing a wall hung toilet for your bathroom.
Are Wall Hung Toilets a Good Idea? Let's explore the pros...
When it comes to wall hung toilets, their effectiveness largely depends on the specific space where they are installed. These toilets offer more than just visually appealing aesthetics—they are the epitome of compactness, modernity, and luxury. So, opting for a wall hung toilet can be a fantastic idea, given that your bathroom layout is suitable for it.
Here are some compelling reasons why wall hung toilets are worth considering:
- Space-saving Solution: Whether you have a small or large bathroom, wall hung toilets are an excellent choice. However, they truly shine in compact spaces and cloakrooms. By leaving the floor space empty, these toilets create an airy and spacious atmosphere, making even the tiniest of bathrooms feel more open.
- Enhanced Modern Appeal: Installing a wall hung toilet instantly elevates the overall aesthetic of your bathroom. The suspended design gives a sense of sleekness and sophistication, transforming your space into a contemporary oasis. It's a surefire way to make a design statement and impress your guests.
- Easy Cleaning and Maintenance: Compared to standard toilets, wall hung toilets offer convenience when it comes to cleaning and maintenance. With no bulky base or hidden corners, these toilets are a breeze to keep spotless. The suspended design allows easy access to the floor beneath, eliminating hard-to-reach areas that can accumulate dirt and grime.
- Versatile Customisation: Wall hung toilets offer a high level of customisation. As they consist of separate components, you have the freedom to choose different elements according to your preferences. This versatility allows you to create a tailored toilet solution that aligns perfectly with your desired style and functionality.
Experience the advantages that wall hung toilets bring to your bathroom, where style meets convenience. From maximising space to simplifying maintenance, these floating style toilets offer a compelling choice for those seeking a contemporary and luxurious toilet option. Embrace the possibilities and transform your bathroom into a haven of modern elegance.
The Pros of Wall Hung Toilets in Detail
Durability and Longevity
Wall hung toilets are designed to be durable and long-lasting. They are constructed using high-quality materials such as ceramic or porcelain, which are known for their strength and resilience. These toilets are built to withstand everyday use and can endure the rigors of daily bathroom activities.
When properly installed and maintained, wall hung toilets can have a long lifespan. However, it's important to follow manufacturer guidelines for cleaning and maintenance to ensure their durability. Regular cleaning and inspections can help identify any issues early on and prevent potential damage.
Additionally, some manufacturers offer warranties on their wall hung toilets, which can provide peace of mind and coverage for any unforeseen defects or damages. It's advisable to check the warranty information and understand any specific requirements or conditions for warranty coverage.
Wall hung toilets come in a variety of design options, allowing homeowners to find a style that suits their bathroom aesthetics. These toilets are available in different shapes, sizes, colours, and finishes, giving you the flexibility to match them with your overall bathroom decor.
For a modern and sleek look, you can opt for a wall hung toilet with clean lines and a minimalist design. If you prefer a more traditional or classic style, there are options available with decorative details or vintage-inspired elements. The range of design choices ensures that you can find a wall hung toilet that complements your desired bathroom theme.
In addition to the toilet bowl design, you can also choose from various flush button or lever styles that blend seamlessly with the toilet's overall appearance. These design options allow you to create a cohesive and visually appealing bathroom space.
Soundproofing and Noise Reduction
One concern often associated with toilets is the noise generated during flushing. Wall hung toilets can address this concern through various features and design elements that contribute to soundproofing and noise reduction.
The concealed cistern of wall hung toilets is typically insulated to minimise noise transmission. This insulation helps absorb and dampen the sound of flushing, resulting in a quieter bathroom experience. Some manufacturers also incorporate additional soundproofing measures, such as rubber gaskets or seals, to further reduce noise.
If noise control is a priority for you, consider selecting a wall hung toilet model that specifically emphasizes soundproofing features. These models are engineered to provide a quieter flushing operation while maintaining optimal performance.
Accessibility and Universal Design
Wall hung toilets can be an excellent choice for those with mobility issues or disabilities. They offer certain features that enhance accessibility and support universal design principles in bathrooms.
One of the advantages of wall hung toilets is the ability to adjust the seat height. This adjustability allows for a more comfortable and accessible seating position, accommodating individuals with varying needs or preferences. Additionally, wall hung toilets provide ample space around the toilet area, making it easier for wheelchair users or individuals with mobility aids to maneuver.
To enhance accessibility further, you can consider installing grab bars near the wall hung toilet. These bars provide stability and support, assisting individuals with balance or mobility challenges. The installation of grab bars should be done following proper guidelines to ensure they are securely attached to the wall.
By incorporating accessibility features and considering universal design principles, wall hung toilets can contribute to creating a more inclusive and user-friendly bathroom environment.
Water efficiency and environmental sustainability are important considerations in today's world. Wall hung toilets can help minimise water usage and contribute to eco-friendly practices.
Many wall hung toilets are designed with water-saving features, such as dual-flush mechanisms. These mechanisms offer a choice between a full flush for solid waste and a reduced flush for liquid waste, allowing users to conserve water with each flush. Some models also feature low-flow options that reduce water consumption even further.
In addition to water-saving features, certain wall hung toilets may be certified by organisations which ensures they meet specific water efficiency standards. Choosing a certified wall hung toilet can provide assurance that you are selecting an environmentally friendly option.
By opting for a water-efficient wall hung toilet, you can reduce your household's water consumption and contribute to overall water conservation efforts.
Compatibility with Bidet Seats
If you're interested in enhancing your bathroom experience with a bidet seat, wall hung toilets are often compatible with these additional fixtures. Bidet seats offer improved hygiene and added comfort, and combining them with a wall hung toilet can create a modern and functional toilet system.
When choosing a bidet seat for a wall hung toilet, it's important to ensure compatibility. Some manufacturers offer bidet seats specifically designed to work with wall hung toilets, taking into account the unique installation and plumbing requirements.
Installation of a bidet seat for a wall hung toilet typically involves connecting it to the existing water supply and electrical outlets, if applicable. It's recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional assistance to ensure a proper and secure installation.
The combination of a wall hung toilet and a bidet seat can provide a luxurious and hygienic bathroom experience, elevating the functionality and comfort of your toilet system.
The Drawbacks of Wall Hung Toilets: Factors to Consider
While wall hung toilets offer numerous advantages, it's crucial to be aware of their potential disadvantages before making a decision to install them in your bathroom. Here are some aspects to consider:
- Higher Costs: Compared to traditional close coupled toilets and back to wall toilets, wall hung toilets come with a higher price tag. This includes both the unit price and the installation costs. It's important to factor in these additional expenses when planning your bathroom renovation or upgrade.
- Complex Installation: Installing a wall hung toilet requires a more intricate process and expertise. It takes longer to install than standard toilets due to the concealed cistern and plumbing arrangements. It's recommended to hire a professional plumber or installer with experience in handling wall hung toilets to ensure a proper and secure installation.
- Structural Limitations: Not all bathrooms are suitable for wall hung toilets. These toilets require breaking the wall to accommodate the cistern and conceal the plumbing. However, certain walls may not be structurally strong enough to support the weight of the person or sustain the necessary modifications. It's essential to assess the structural integrity of your bathroom before considering a wall hung toilet installation.
- Limited Accessibility: In case of any issues or maintenance requirements, wall hung toilets can pose challenges. The cistern, being concealed within the wall, is not easily accessible. This can make it more difficult and time-consuming to address any problems that may arise. It's important to consider the potential inconvenience and the need for professional assistance if troubleshooting or repairs are required.
By understanding and weighing these disadvantages, you can make an informed decision regarding the suitability of wall hung toilets for your specific bathroom requirements. It's always advisable to consult with professionals and carefully assess the feasibility and practicality of installing a wall hung toilet in your space.
Do Wall Hung Toilets Have Tanks?
Have you ever wondered where the tank of wall hung toilets is located? The answer lies in its concealed cistern. Unlike traditional toilets where the tank is visible, wall hung toilets feature a hidden water tank that resides inside the wall. This ingenious design element ensures that only the toilet bowl is visible externally, creating a sleek and minimalist appearance in your bathroom.
By concealing the cistern within the wall, wall hung toilets offer a seamless and uncluttered aesthetic. This design choice not only enhances the overall modern appeal of the toilet but also contributes to the perception of a more spacious bathroom. With the tank hidden from view, your bathroom can exude a sense of effortless elegance.
So, the next time you admire the clean lines and streamlined look of a wall hung toilet, remember that its concealed cistern is the secret behind its captivating appearance. It's a testament to the thoughtful design and innovation that goes into creating these contemporary toilet options.
Can Wall Hung Toilets Get Leaking Problems?
While wall hung toilets are not inherently more prone to leaking than other toilet types, like any plumbing fixture, they can experience leaking problems if not properly installed or maintained. It's essential to understand the potential causes and take preventive measures to minimise the risk of leakage. Here are some key considerations:
- Correct Installation: Leaks in wall hung toilets can occur if the mounting hardware is not correctly fitted during installation. To prevent this, it's crucial to enlist the services of a qualified plumbing professional experienced in wall hung toilet installations. They should follow proper installation guidelines and ensure that the mounting hardware is securely and accurately positioned.
- Quality Products: The use of high-quality materials and components is crucial in preventing leakage. Plumbing contractors should select reliable and reputable products when installing wall hung toilets. This includes choosing reliable mounting brackets, fasteners, and seals to ensure a tight and secure fit.
- Regular Inspection and Maintenance: To avoid potential water leakage from wall hung toilets, regular inspection and maintenance by reputable professionals are vital. They can identify any signs of wear and tear, loose fasteners, or potential issues early on. This proactive approach allows for timely repairs or adjustments, minimising the risk of leaks and ensuring the long-term integrity of the toilet system.
By prioritising proper installation, using quality materials, and conducting regular maintenance, the likelihood of leaking issues in wall hung toilets can be significantly reduced. It's advisable to consult with plumbing professionals who have expertise in wall hung toilet installations and to follow manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and care. Taking these precautions will help ensure a leak-free and reliable toilet system in your bathroom.
...wall hung toilets offer a sleek and modern toilet option with space-saving benefits, easy maintenance, and versatile customisation. While they have advantages such as durability and design options, it's important to consider potential drawbacks like higher costs and installation complexities. Consulting professionals can help determine if a wall hung toilet is suitable for your bathroom.