Do you simply let your car insurance automatically renew each year? Stop right now! You could be one of the many people who are overpaying their car insurance and simply throwing money down the drain.
Apparently people are overpaying around £2billion per year by not seeking out a cheaper car insurance deal. That’s pure madness if you ask me. Are you wondering where you can find cheap car insurance tips? I’m here today with three very savvy tips to help you find a cheaper deal on your car insurance.
Every single year I manage to find a cheaper car insurance deal and last year I was even able to find a better deal. I managed to not only reduce my annual payment, but increased my protection form third party only to fully comp! I also got one year’s breakdown cover included.
It’s totally worth shopping around and not forgetting about your car insurance each year, unless you’re absolutely loaded and don’t care about paying more than you need to for things. But if you’re like the majority of us, a saving on the car insurance premium and a better deal is always preferred!
So how to save money on car insurance? Here are three things you should always do when searching for cheaper car insurance.
1. Use a comparison site
The first thing to do is to check out comparison sites. Don’t just settle for one either. Sometimes I’ve had a cheaper quote from the same company, but just on a different comparison site! I like to use the three websites confused.com, and then moneysupermarket.com and finally TopCashBack Compare to start with.
Once you’ve filled out your details on these three comparison sites, you’ll get an idea of the cheapest quote for your car. There are more comparison sites, so you can fill in as many as you like to find a really good deal! But I think if you’re short on time and you’re starting to find a big saving compared to your renewal quote then these three may be enough for you to find a cheaper car insurance quote and hopefully make a nice saving this year!
It is a bit of a pain to fill in these sites with all your details, but if you create an account, and providing you keep your car for more than one year, then they’ll save your car’s details to make it much quicker and easier to complete the following year. I saved over £100 on my car insurance quote one year, so the pain of filling in all the forms was worth it!
Comparison sites are a great place to start when searching for cheap car insurance. In addition to the sites mentioned, there are many other comparison websites that you can use to get an idea of the cheapest quote for your car. Some more popular ones include GoCompare, and Compare the Market.
More useful information about using comparison sites for car insurance quotes:
- When using these comparison sites, it's important to ensure that you're filling out your details accurately and honestly. This will help to ensure that the quotes you receive are as accurate as possible. You should also make sure to check the terms and conditions of each policy carefully to ensure that it meets your needs.
- It's also worth noting that while comparison sites can be a great starting point, they don't always show the full range of available deals. Some insurance providers may not be listed on these sites, so it's worth doing your own research as well. This can involve checking individual insurance provider websites and contacting brokers directly to get quotes. However, in my experience I have never found a cheaper quote froma car insurance provider that isn't listed on a comparison site and I've just wasted my time filling out numerous forms on individual websites!
- In addition, comparison sites can be particularly useful if you're a first-time driver or have recently passed your test, as insurance can be particularly expensive in these cases. By shopping around and comparing quotes, you may be able to find a more affordable policy to save money on your car costs.
- Finally, it's important to keep in mind that the cheapest quote may not always be the best option. You should consider factors such as the level of cover offered, any exclusions or limitations, and the excess amount when making your decision. By taking the time to research your options, you can find a policy that offers the right balance of affordability and coverage for your needs.
But, don't stop there! Don’t go through with any car insurance quote before checking out the next two tips as you could just save even more money on the best car insurance quote!
2. Check for cashback
Before you click through and purchase your new car insurance, ALWAYS check for cashback!
You might have to fill out your details again to get a new quote, and the quote is sometimes slightly more, however with the cashback offer it should still be cheaper than going directly through the comparison site link, unless the comparison site that found you the best deal is already via the TopCashBack Compare quote! Then just go ahead and buy it via TopCashback.
While it may take a little extra time to fill out your details again to get a new quote and check for cashback, it's often worth it. In some cases, the cashback offer can offset any slightly higher premiums, making the overall cost of the policy cheaper than if you were to purchase it directly through a comparison site.
It's worth noting that not all insurance providers offer cashback deals, and the amount of cashback on offer can vary widely. However, by taking the time to check for cashback, you may be able to save a significant amount of money on your car insurance premium.
When using a cashback website, it's important to ensure that you follow the correct link and complete the purchase in the same browser window to ensure that the cashback is tracked correctly. You should also check the terms and conditions of the cashback offer carefully to ensure that you're eligible for the cashback and that you meet any requirements, such as a minimum spend or whether you've been a customer of the insurer before and therefore don't qualify.
In addition, it's a good idea to keep a record of any cashback offers you've claimed and to check that the cashback has been tracked correctly. This can involve setting reminders to check your cashback account or reaching out to the cashback provider if there are any issues.
Overall, checking for cashback offers can be a great way to save money on your car insurance premium. By combining this with comparison site shopping, you can maximise your savings and find the best possible deal for your needs.
For several years now, I've always found my best car insurance quote by doing these first two steps. I've always saved money on my car insurance doing this. Sometimes the cashback can take a few weeks, so I make a note in my calendar to check the cashback tracked properly and I reach out to TopCashback if there are any issues. I usually get anywhere from £20 to £40 in cashback every year for my new car insurance premium.
I love getting cashback and getting a nice lump sum on car insurance premiums is a great way to get some free money and save some money every year. Here are some related articles on my cashback savings and car insurance/MOT:
- How to earn cashback on things you already buy
- Today I saved BIG on my car insurance and MOT. Here’s how…
- How I saved £36 on my car insurance (with increased cover and breakdown) and got £12.80 cashback
3. Ask your current car insurance provider to beat your cheapest quote
Asking your current car insurance provider to beat your cheapest quote can be a great way to save money on your car insurance premium. Some providers may be willing to offer you a better deal in order to retain your business, so it's always worth asking. So far this hasn't worked for me, but it's always worth a shot as some providers will want to keep you as a customer and will offer you a better deal.
When asking your current provider to beat your cheapest quote, it's important to take into account any cashback offers you may have received. You should deduct the cashback amount from your cheapest quote before contacting your current provider to ensure that you're comparing like for like.
When speaking to your current provider, it's important to be polite and courteous, but firm in your request for a better deal. If they are unable or unwilling to offer you a better deal, then it may be time to move on to a new provider.
Finally, it's worth noting that loyalty doesn't always pay when it comes to car insurance. While it may be tempting to stick with your current provider, it's important to shop around and compare quotes each year to ensure that you're getting the best possible deal. By taking the time to research your options and negotiate with your current provider, you can save money on your car insurance premium and enjoy greater peace of mind.
In addition to asking your current provider to match or beat your cheapest quote, you can also consider using a price comparison website or insurer that offers a cheapest price guarantee, such as One Sure Insurance. These websites will refund you the difference if you find a cheaper quote elsewhere, so you can be confident that you're getting the best possible deal. Just check with them first to make sure they will match your cheapest quote and that they will take into account any cashback rewards.
Final word on tips to save money for cheaper car insurance
To summarise, here are the three tips to save money on your car insurance:
- Use comparison sites to find the best deals. By filling out your details on multiple comparison websites, you can get an idea of the cheapest quote for your car. Some popular comparison sites include GoCompare, Compare the Market, and confused.com.
- Check for cashback offers before purchasing your insurance policy. Many insurance providers offer cashback incentives for customers who purchase a policy through a cashback website, such as TopCashback or Quidco.
- Ask your current car insurance provider to beat your cheapest quote. Some providers may be willing to offer you a better deal in order to retain your business, so it's always worth asking. Be sure to take into account any cashback offers you may have received before contacting your provider.
By following these tips, you can save money on your car insurance premium and enjoy greater peace of mind. Remember to shop around each year and compare quotes to ensure that you're getting the best possible deal for your needs.
Before you go...
Before you go, be sure to check out some of our other money-saving posts on our blog. We've got plenty of tips and tricks to help you save money on everything from fuel to car maintenance. Here are just a few of our most popular posts:
We hope that these tips have helped you to save money on your car insurance. By using comparison sites, checking for cashback offers, and asking your current provider to beat your cheapest quote, you can find a policy that offers the right balance of affordability and coverage for your needs.
For more money-saving tips, be sure to check out some of our other posts on our blog. With a little bit of research and effort, you can save money on all aspects of car ownership and enjoy greater financial stability.