I can’t believe it’s been over a month already. I’ve actually already had my top fixed appliance (brace) on for 5 weeks and 3 days. It now feels like a part of me and we’re so used to seeing it, it feels like I’ve always had it. I’ve been doing my best to remember to take a photo every week to create a time lapse at the end, but may have forgotten once. Time just goes so quickly nowadays.
Here are a few things I wanted to note down now I’m over a month in:
- Still only chewing on the right side of my mouth. Mainly eating soft food. I will only eat with a knife and fork or with hands if very soft or can be broken into tiny pieces.
- Have to brush with my electric toothbrush only. It feels too bizarre and scrapey with my manual – it makes me cringe, kind of like a knife scraping on a plate/fingers down a blackboard sensation!
- No obvious movement yet – perhaps my peg tooth has moved back a little. I’m curious to see if the orthodontist notices a difference at the next appointment.
- No one really bats an eyelid when I talk to them. I thought more people would look at me strangely, but it’s been no different to normal. There are still several family members and friends I haven’t seen, so they might ask. I wonder if people feel rude asking – even some family members haven’t commented! I don’t mind talking about it though if anyone is curious about anything, so they can ask away! Or perhaps they just don’t really care.
- If I press lightly on the brace on a few teeth I can instantly feel the pressure, but not on others. I can mainly feel this on the front teeth and the back teeth don’t feel under pressure at all now.
- Went to a party with finger food and avoided eating anything! Didn’t fancy mushing quiche all over the brace or sandwich and other food was hard salad sticks which I can’t eat anyway. First time I’ve avoided social eating because of the brace. I could have asked for cutlery, but didn’t want to make my eating obvious!
- Photos of me showing brace look awful, but I hate photos of me anyway, so not unusual for me to try and avoid being captured!
All is well. The experience is just fine and I have no less confidence with the brace on which was one of my main concerns. Three and a half weeks until my first tightening – then I might be moaning in a blog post about the pain!!