This week I’m interviewing Cat from Penny Wise, Life Rich:
Hello, welcome to my Money Making Mums Interview. Please tell me a little about who you are, where you’re from and where you blog.
Hi! I am Cat Plummer and I am from Sunny East Sussex! I live with my husband and my dog. I am a financial coach working predominantly with women to become more empowered financially. You can find me at www.catplummer.com. I am also a money blogger over at www.pennywiseliferich.co.uk
This series is all about mums being able to make money from home. Can you tell me what you do from home to make money?
I got into debt a few years ago and managed to successfully get out of it. I wanted to use what I had done and things I had learned to help other people so I started my blog so share my tips and advice. After a while I felt like I wanted to help people more, on a one-to-one basis. So, I trained to be a financial coach. I now work from home as a coach and a money blogger. I conduct most of my coaching calls on Skype or occasionally my clients come to my house.
What makes it suitable for mums?
It is really flexible and you can do as much or as little as you like. It is really up to you to set your schedule and this can be done while children are at school or in the evenings when they have gone to bed.
What do you love about working from home?
- That I can choose when I start and finish work and that I get to see my dog all day! I usually break the day up with dog walks.
- That it is flexible and I am in control of what gets done and when, so I can go and meet a friend for lunch or coffee or even take a long weekend off work without worrying if I have enough annual leave.
- Not having to commute to work!
What are your top three negatives to working from home?
- Not having colleagues. I do miss the fun that can be had when working with others and also the ability to ask a colleague their thoughts and advice on something. I have counteracted this by being a member of some great online groups.
- It can be hard to get motivated sometimes when you don’t have set hours and when you can see that things need doing at home like the cleaning or washing!
- It can be harder to shut off from work as there is not definitive line between home and work. I have tried to get round this by having a separate room to work in and closing the door to it when I’m not working! What can be tricky is that because we have Smart phones, work can still continue everywhere at any time.
If you could only pick one, either working from home or working in an office for the rest of your life, which would you pick?
Definitely working from home!
Lots of people say they’d find it hard to stay motivated if working alone at home. What keeps you motivated?
Making lists and weekly plans. I try to have a weekly overview of things I want to get done and appointments that I have got, then daily I have a to-do list of things to achieve that day. I try not to fill it with too many things otherwise it can become overwhelming.
Do you have a favourite quote to keep you inspired?
She believed she could, so she did.
Do you have any advice or words of wisdom to share with mums wanting to make their own income from home?
Definitely don’t be afraid. As with anything, it takes a leap of faith and often our negative voice can keep us from starting but just do it! Believe in yourself and don’t compare yourself to others.
Thank you so much to Cat for taking part in my guest series.
Want to get paid to blog?
Click for lots of ways to make money blogging!
Discover helpful blogging resources here!
Find lots of paid blogging opportunities here!
Want to make some extra cash?
To get started, you can make money online with 60 methods I’ve tried and tested.
Just need £1000? Here’s how to make £1000 in one month at home.
Short on time? These methods can make money in one hour.
Want free cash? Here are loads of free money offers.
Subscribe to our free newsletter for the best free money offers, money-making and money-saving tips we discover!