At the start of this year I was featured in the media and made £200! I was interviewed on budgeting as a family for The Guardian newspaper. I’m not sure how the journalist found me as I certainly didn’t apply for anything, so I can only assume they found me because of my money blog and contacted me directly. Since then I have learned a few ways of how to find paid media opportunities and I will share one of those ways with you today.
The whole experience of featuring in a newspaper was great. A little out of my comfort zone, but now I’ve done it I would definitely do it again. I had an interview via email and then a photographer came to take photos of me and my family. It was that straightforward.
Soon after it was published I was sent £200 by a bank transfer. Amazing!
I guess the only possible negative to being featured in the media is the bad comments, but I just never checked the comment section. There are always some negative people and they like to speak the loudest. So if you’re going to feature in a newspaper that has a comments section then my advice would be just don’t ever look!
Anyway, I thought it was a fun thing to do and was a great little earner. I have since discovered a new way to find out about more well-paying media opportunities. Read on to see how you can be sent paid media opportunities directly to your email inbox!
Sign up to the FeatureMe! UK newsletter for paid media opportunities
I stumbled upon the FeatureMe! UK Facebook group somehow. It’s ran by a small number of journalists who write features for newspapers, magazines and websites. They are regularly looking for members of the public for their stories.
Here’s what they say:
“Sign up to our media request email and discover the latest stories UK journalists are working on and how YOU can feature in them.
Do you want to:
- Earn £££ by sharing your experiences?
- Promote your business, blog or book?
- Raise awareness of a charitable cause?
- Star in a professional photoshoot?
Sign up now!”
They send these out in a media requests email and you can sign up here to make sure you don’t miss out on any opportunities.
There are all sorts of different opportunities available. Here’s an example from this week’s newsletter:
- Fired from your job for posting something on social media? £350 paid on publication
- Did you fall in love with the builder? £250 paid on publication
- Meet on social media and plan to propose soon? £1000 paid on publication
- Did you have triplets when you already had one child? £100 paid on publication
- Regret following health advice from an internet/instagram guru? £150 paid on publication
- Gran, mum and daughter from same family needed £500 paid on publication
- Have you suffered side effects from these drugs? £50 paid on publication
As you can see, they are totally varied and the fees also vary a lot, so it’s just a case of getting the newsletter or joining the Facebook group and keeping an eye on the opportunities until one suits.
More ways to make money from home!
Save me for later!