Homemade raw dark chocolate
Since discovering the benefits of cacao powder and making lots of delicious healthy chocolate milkshakes, I wanted to see what else I could make with this delicious nutrient rich ingredient.
Of course the most obvious thing to try and make was chocolate. Delicious raw vegan chocolate!
I made a few quite simple dark chocolates, but for this recipe I decided to add some crispies to see if it would work. I use whole grain rice crispies from a brand called Kallo to create my very own homemade crispie raw chocolates.
Vegan homemade raw crispie chocolate recipe
- 60g cacao butter
- 30g coconut palm sugar
- 30g cacao powder
- 1 scoop wholegrain puffed rice
- 1 dollop of Sweet Freedom syrup
Only 5 ingredients!
I'm sure the coconut palm sugar can be swapped out for xylitol to make it sugar free.
The syrup could also be skipped, but I think it adds a little extra sweetness to the very bitter tasting dark chocolate that is probably needed! Maple syrup or another syrup could also be used.
If you want some extra crunch then sprinkle some chia seeds on top of the chocolates once they are in the moulds.
- Pop a glass bowl over steaming hot water in a pan.
- Chuck all the ingredients in and stir until the butter has thoroughly melted.
- Spoon the mixture into moulds or pour into a tray (I tried both and both worked well)
- Pop in the freezer/fridge to set.
What are the health benefits of raw cacao?
Raw cacao powder is similar to cocoa powder, but it is cold pressed and much more unrefined. Therefore it is a lot better for you as it retains many of the nutrients that would otherwise be lost when a lot of processing occurs.
Cocoa powder is usually heated by roasting which reduces its nutritional value.
Cacao is a superfood as it has a very high nutrient content, including many antioxidants.
Here are some of the health benefits of cacao powder:
- More antioxidants than red wine and green tea
- A rich source of minerals, especially magnesium
- Also a source of vitamins including vitamin C
- They contain Omega-6 fatty acids
- Can make you feel good thanks to its phenethylamine (PEA which is a neurotransmitter responsible for the feeling of love) and serotonin content
- It has a low GI so won’t spike your blood sugar levels
- Boosts energy and therefore reduces fatigue
Can I use cocoa?
More delicious & healthy recipes
5 easy and nutritious vegan breakfasts to get 3 of your 5-a-day
Moringa powder green smoothie recipe
Delicious green kale & moringa powder juice recipe
How to make the best homemade muesli without a recipe
Healthy chocolate milkshake recipe
Easy vegan sweet potato soup recipe
Delicious purple bee pollen smoothie recipe